ecodrivingusa

Friday, September 7, 2007

What are we voting for?

We just had a primary election to fill the seat of our Congressman who stepped down to take a job in the public sector. There were 5 Democrats to choose from and 2 Republicans. The candidate I was supporting was the only true progressive, the only candidate who has always been against the war, and the only candidate who supports single payer health insurance AND the only Clean Elections candidate ever elected to the House of Representatives in Massachusetts. He lost and in true Democratic unity style he was out campaigning for the victor the next day. Not me.

I am disgusted that only 20% of the electorate bothered to vote. I'm disgusted that lots of people didn't even know there was an election. I'm disgusted that money and family name recognition trumps all. I am ready to start a campaign for all those people who say they don't like any of the candidates, for all those who are tired of voting while holding their noses. Here it is: If you want to send a real message follow these steps -

1. Register to vote
2. If you don't like any of the candidates go to the polls anyway
and pull a ballot, but don't vote for anyone.

The records will show that you cared enough to go to vote, but you didn't want to vote for the lesser of two evils or to hold your nose. If we keep being "good Democrats" (or Republicans) and voting for whomever our Party's candidate is no matter what, we get what we deserve as much as the people who don't vote get what they deserve.

Sammy Kahn (I think) wrote a song that applies to my feelings about my beloved Democratic Party after this election:

"I'm through with love
I'll never fall again.
Said adieu to love
Don't ever call again.
For I must have you or no one
And so I'm through with love..."

No comments: