ecodrivingusa

Monday, September 3, 2007

Labor Day

Just a quick note to recognize Labor Day. My hunch is that most young people are clueless about Labor Day. Most of them are the beneficiaries of the hard work of labor unions, but they aren't members of any union themselves. My favorite bumper sticker says, "Labor Unions, the people who brought you the weekend". It is easy to be dismissive of unions if you have never suffered the hardships of working without them. My grandfather began his life in the United States just as unions were growing. He knew what it was like to work 7 days a week with no benefits of any kind. I come from a strong union family and I am proud of that. Both grandfathers, my paternal grandmother and my father worked for U.S. Steel in Pittsburg, California. I thank God for the union that fought for pensions, healthcare, a safe work place, and lots more. We all owe a debt to them for making life better for all of us.

No comments: