ecodrivingusa

Thursday, March 27, 2008

Bella Italia

Enough of politics for at least one post. I was just looking at photos I took in Italy in June and thought I would post some of my odd favorites. They aren't the usual travel photos, but to me they evoke my Italy. The one titled Greco Roman smile was taken in the museum at Paestum which is south of Naples. Very few Americans go there. It has the most beautiful and most well preserved Greek temples in Europe. I actually enjoyed visiting them more than the Parthenon (that isn't to say one should not see the Parthenon at least once in their lifetime). There are two photos from the Amalfi Coast. The kisses (baci) and hugs (abbracci) photo was taken in a restaurant overlooking the coast. I thought the words and the back of the chair were romantic, so I clicked. La Dolce Vita was taken when we stopped for lemonade on our drive up the coast. Valentino's Last Collection was a serendipitous shot and I love it. We stumbled on the museum which is really a glass structure built over a temple. When we went in this photo shoot was going on. I wasn't sure if it was ok to take a picture, so I quickly framed it up and clicked. The red dresses were knocking me (I LOVE red) and I thought I recognized them, but didn't try to talk to anyone, they were working after all. A few months later there was a story in the NYT Sunday magazine about Valentino retiring and one of the photos used was from that shoot. I did feel a little stupid for not recognizing his work and wished I had gawked at those dresses more than I did. Valentino will be missed. His designs are the epitome of Italian elegance. No one will ever take his place. Maybe I will post more on Italy later, but for now, basta...

No comments: