ecodrivingusa

Monday, August 27, 2007

Starting Here, Starting Now

Only 11 more rehearsals before the opening of the cabaret show I'm in with two of my friends. The show is Starting Here, Starting Now by Richard Maltby, Jr. and David Shire. We are doing this as a fundraiser for Westford Chorus at The Java Room in Chelmsford. It is a real test to try to move from singing legit to making that music theatre sound. I wake up in the middle of the night with the music running through my head, so it must be starting to stick. I hate looking at this in writing, but I was the Assistant Stage Manager 30 years ago in NYC on the original show. Singing the songs brings back lots of memories to say the least. It will be interesting to see if the music is still fresh or seems dated to the audience. There are two recordings of the show. The only one worth listening to is the original cast recording with George Lee Andrews, Loni Ackerman and Margery Cohen.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Here-Original-1977-Off-Broadway/dp/B000002W3D

(George went on to be in the original cast of Phantom of the Opera and low these many years later he is STILL in the show. How weird is it that for decades I have been meaning to go to New York and see Phantom. With my luck there will be an announcement that the show will be closing and I won't be able to get tickets...) Back to SHSN, the London cast recording is painful to listen to, but unlike the NY cast recording, it has literally all of the songs.

http://www.amazon.com/Starting-Here-1993-Original-London/dp/B000005BH4

Nancy, Bill and I have been working hard on getting our version of the show together. We have a great trio backing us up. Now that tickets are on sale we realize there is no turning back. It is truly on with the show...now I'm off to rehearsal...

No comments: